Age Limit?

Discussion in 'Sex and Relationships' started by Animularisen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

What do you believe is the age limit between couples?

this is your own personal view remember...

I think 10 years is my maximum.... depending on your age... i mean I'm 19 so 10 years on that would be 29? and I'm still a bit iffy about that. My boyfriend is 26 and that's 7 years just like my mom and dad, he was younger... but if I were to go the other way I think 17/18 years old would be my max on younger then me.

the way ive explained tht might not make sense... but yeah... tell me your thoughts.

2. djmercer1

djmercer1 New Member

i think it kinda depends on the age of those involved.

i think it starts low increases and then declines. personally for me at 20 a 2-3 yrs difference is enough, at 30 maybe 10 yrs, at 45 probably 15 yrs but beyond that it starts to decrease. at the end of a relationship(ie life of partners, need that grow old together feel) 5-10 yrs really doenst mean much as life exptenceny is variable at best.

for me the persons need to have similar interests throughout the duration of the relationship, consider that at 5 yrs ago you and your partner would have nothing to share....

3. unalteredone

unalteredone New Member

I'm 20 and anything under 18 or rather, not in college, would be weird for me. I think 26 would be my limit on the other end. I agree though with djmercer that it increases with age. Obvi if i were a 40 year old single woman if a 25 year old man thought i was sexy i'd go for it!! haha.

4. igor

Gold Member

I think the level of maturity is as (if not more so) important than actual age. My mom was 22 and dad 35 when they married. It worked fine for them. But I agree with the previous [poster that the older you get, the wider the "acceptable" gap.

5. BassDude

BassDude New Member

How well said! There are 20 year olds with the emotional maturity of a typical 40 year old (like Dreama ;)) and 40 year olds with the emotional maturity of a typical 20 year old. And I do think that is the most important thing. You do have to consider though that if it's going to be a long term relationship, the age difference make have some unpleasant effects health-wise for one or the other partner...and that's fine too, you just have to be sure that the person means enough to you that you're willing to do whatever it takes for them (both of you).

BD

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Thanks, BD. You're such a flatterer! :D

But yeah, the level of maturity matters most, as well as the connection between the two people involved. It's a case by case thing- it depends on the people.

7. JuicyB

JuicyB New Member

Well, I'm over 40, and I try to stick to 30 and over for dating.

8. suite91

suite91 Member

Apparently the rule of thumb is Half your age plus seven. That will give you the age of the youngest person you should be with.

(Your age/2) + 7 = Youngest, likewise (Your age - 7) X 2 = Oldest

As the formula illustrates, the older you get the larger the gap in age can be.

This is all nonsense of course, but it's fun to play with the numbers! (Uh Oh, geekyness showing :eek)

9. bucky

bucky New Member

For me at 50+, I think +-10 years is a good guide, but there could be exceptions, like BD said, depending on the maturity of the person.

10. bsxy420

Gold Member

when it comes to who i would date. they have to be older than i am...not really sure on how old i would think is to old. it all depends on how we click together.
    as for others. what ever makes them happy. as long as they arent breaking any laws i dont see what it matters to the rest of the world who they are dating.

11. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Well, I'm pretty geeky too. (Honestly, you would be blown away by my collection of Star Trek episodes, movies, books, etc. But I digress.) I find Suite91's age formula intriguing. Is this ideal age difference supposed to be for the man or the woman? I'm just turned 33 and my SO is quite a bit younger than me.

33/2 = 16.5
    16.5 + 7 = 23.5

My SO is actually 22.5.

However, I find it interesting using the same formula for him. 22/2 + 7 = 18.

12. Animularisen

Animularisen New Member

That means my older guy should be 24 but my boyfriend is 26 hahahaha... and I'm still in a more love-sick stage about relationships and sometimes think he should drop everything for me... but I'm slowly learning how adult relationships work =) hehehe go me!

and 16 1/2 is my youngest >_< I don't think so! hahaha 17 at the least but then again i still feel weird about that.

13. Joe

Joe
    Gold Member

For me that would be (62/2) +7= 38 for the youngest. I could live with that. :brow

But the oldest for me? (62-7) x2= 110! :eek

14. suite91

suite91 Member

Told ya math was fun ! :brow

15. ccjcool

ccjcool New Member

22/2 = 11 +7 = 18

22-7 = 15 x2 = 30

I can live with this :D:D (seriously, i know this one former coworker who is 30 now, and she is still :eek:eek:eek hot ;) )

16. XIII

XIII New Member

24/2 = 12 + 7 = 19 (gf's 20)
    24 - 7 = 17 x 2 = 34 (bit old for me i think)

17. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

There are 6 years between me and my hubby. I am 25 he is 31. I dont really think age is anything but a number after you hit "legal" Love does come with a number and you sure the heck cant help who you fall in love with!

18. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Hmmmm

(22/2)+7 = 18
    (22-7)x2 = 30

What about all those cougars though?! I think the upper limit on this age thing is too restrictive.

19. UtherPendragon

UtherPendragon New Member

The older I get the older are the women I am attracted to, ie roughly the same age as me.
    Long may it last!
    When I was 20 I had a one night stand with a 26 yr old. I thought she was ancient.