Advice needed on switching birth control

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by Puss_in_boots, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Puss_in_boots

Puss_in_boots Adminatrix
    Gold Member

Ever since I started taking medication for epilepsy, I've been considering stopping my hormonal birth control. Some anti-convulsant medications interfere with birth control pills, making them less effective. The one I'm on however (Lamictal) doesn't interfere with birth control pills. Quite the opposite, actually. The birth control interferes with the Lamictal, making it less effective. I don't really like the sound of that at all.

I have a couple of months worth of pills left, and at that time I'll go and have a conference with my doctor. I've been thinking about not renewing my prescription for the pill and instead switching to an non-hormonal IUD. Apart from knowing that it's one of the most effective forms of birth control there is (even more so than the pill) I know very little about it.

Therefore, I'd appreciate any advice from anyone here who has used an IUD. Thanks in advance.

=^.^=

2. sexyJ

sexyJ New Member

There is a higher risk of ectopic pregnancy's with an IUD. From what I hear though most people like them! I don't have personal experience with them, but on the other board I visit for mothers they talk about it frequently! Good luck!

3. FlirtyChick

Gold Member

Puss, darling, I cannot help you here. I used the pill, then condoms for 5 years. I hope you find the answer! It is not good to mess with your other meds!

4. bucky

bucky New Member

Puss, are you planning on having children in the future? If not you could have your tubes tied. Kind of drastic but definitely a great form of birth control. Or the Swede could have the snip.:)
    If you are wanting to get pregnant in the future I would suggest condoms only because of the epileptic meds you are on.
    Wish you tons of luck finding something that works and doesn't interfere with your other meds.

5. Katprr

Katprr New Member

Although I have never had an IUD before, I have had a total hysterectomy but then again I have had 8pregos 5 children. I can tell you that with an IUD you increase your risk of tubal pregnancy greatly, along with many other risk factors out there, damage to your Uterus if used for a long term, bleeding etc.. The best advice I can give you is make sure you talk with your DR and know all the risk factors and find out if you are willing to accept all the risk associated with the IUD.
    Good luck to you
    !!