Acquaintances, friends and true friends

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darkesheart, May 6, 2007.

1. Darkesheart

Darkesheart New Member

As the title says, this is about acquaintances, friends and true friends. What do you see each of them as being. In your opinion is there any difference between them, and if so, what is that difference.

I know that to me there is a big difference between all three of them. To me an acquaintance is someone that you speak to in passing. Like someone that you would say hi to that you work with. Maybe chat for a minute about either the weather, the news, sports, or your job. A friend on the other hand is someone that you talk to everyday. Someone that you can talk to about most anything. A person that you would go to hang out with at thet bar, have over for dinner, or even just hang out with. Where as a true friend is something much more than either of these. Yes, friends can develop into true friends. And acquaintances can develop into friends. But true friendships to me are so much more.

I see true friends as the people who stick with you through everything. Through the hard times as well as the good. The ones that see you laugh, scream, rage, and cry and let you lean on them when you need it most. No mater what, if you are feeling down in the dumps they would be there to hold your hand and offer their other one to you to help you back up when you fell.

I have a male friend that lives on the other side of the world. He's been there for me whenever I needed him the most. He showed me that I am a person worht caring about. He showed me that no matter what I have gone through (and he knows it all) that I am someone special. He made me feel alive again after a particularly nasty break up. He's given me a shoulder to cry on and has lent an ear when I spilled my heart out to and he has never judged me. For this man I will be there whenever he needs me. Whenever he wanted to talk I have been a willing listener. I never have, nor will I ever judge him for what he has done, or been through. He is the truest friend that I have, and he is my best friend and I love him dearly. When he is in pain it tears me apart because I can't be there for him in person to hold him and offer my heart and my shoulder for him to cry on. I would do anything for him, and I just hope that he knows that.

2. LaVitaDolce

LaVitaDolce New Member

I agree with you pretty much on everything. I only have a few true friends.. The people that have been with me through thick and thin, and I can always count on them. As I have gotten older I've been able to realize who those true friends are. I also have "regular" friends that I see on a daily basis that I just "shoot the shit" with. And like you most of my acquaintances are my coworkers that I say hi to when I see them.

3. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I hope the guy knows that as well Hun...
    It sure isnt often any of us gets a true friendship from someone...but it sure does feel great to know there is someone to count on, someone we can open up to and never feel ashamed of the past presant of ourselves.

I would agree with your statements completly ...i am not sure what i come under for the people i know and like , some that i love dearly as friends.
    Most i know live abroad, people i may never get to see, but people i would realy love to visit.
    Sometimes we find people that are very special and we treasure those ones..and do our best to help them see their qualities , what makes them worthy and special...and that there are people that will cherish them and i guess in a way nerture them as well ( nerture may be the wrong word, but i can not think of a word that fits correctly )

True friendships make both people stronger than they were, a bound a linking of souls i guess could describe it.

Oceans can seperate friendships as can vast distances,, but souls that where meant to know each other , those oceans/lands/mountains ( obsticals ) become invisable. one way or another they meet up somehow.

4. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

I have many MANY aquaintances.... perhaps a few "friends" (and I admit, I'm not really sure what that noun means)... but I feel I have only one "true friend", and that is my husband, Thorn.

As a child, my dad's works caused us to move about every 4 years or so. I never was able to develop deep, lasting friendships. I have always wondered what it would be like. Now that I am older, in the autumn of my years, I am so grateful that my best, deepest and closest friend is Thorn. The only problem is, should I lose him (death, etc), would leave me devastated. I love my kids... I love my grandkids... but to have someone so totally "in your soul" (as Thorn is to me) - - there is no way to replace that in a lifetime. I can only say that I am thankful for the pleasure of having known ( and been known) so deeply. It's a treasure that many will go a lifetime without knowing.

5. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Wel this may sound silly...but Rose&Thorn i hope you both have many years to go ...:)
    I was moved from pilla to post as a youngster to...hard to get a true bound with people your hardly there to know...i did have one freidnship that last for 17 years...

6. Darkesheart

Darkesheart New Member

I am with Kronnie on that Rose. I too hope that you an Thorn have many, many more years together.