A very delicate matter, indeed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barbwire, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Barbwire

Gold Member

Ok, so this has NOTHING to do with sex, but I still need some advice. I have a friend, well actually, she's my hairdresser and does my son's hair, too. Our sons are friends and spend time at each other's houses. Ok, so here is the delicate matter, her house REEKS, I mean smells so bad it makes me gag. It's so bad, I have my son shower and change his clothes when he gets back from a playdate. It's gotten worse and worse, to the point where I can barely sit through a haircut when I go there, fearing that I might vomit at any moment. I am very sensitive to strong smells, but even my son and husband admit the place is pretty rank. The source of all this stench is the dog they have. It is very old and it smells like it is decaying, yes, decaying.

Another thing is, my friend's entire family smells of this dog. The other night there was a function at the school, and when her husband walked by I could smell his scent long after he was out of eyesight.

I am at the point of not allowing my son to go to their house anymore, but I am torn. I'd like to be able to tell my friend that her place stinks, as I doubt she even realizes it. BUT, how the heck do I broach the subject? She's going to wonder why my son and I have stopped going there. What am I do say if she asks why?

2. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

I dont know . toughy this one.

Well have you braoched the subject with your friend about her dog, maybe asking along the lines of is the dog extremly sick, maybe also offering to go wit hher to the vets with the dog, the vet im sure would be able to smell the dog, and perhaps be able to offer some form of treatment to cure the extremly bad smell.
    Once she has gently been shown how bad the dog actualy does smell, and the vet has some form of treatment ( because if the dog smells that bad , im thinking there is something seriously wrong with the poor thing , as dogs have an awsome sense of smell, and usualy dislike smelling badly ) then perhaps once she knows the dog smells that daly, she may also notice that smell on other things , and take action.

Or the other way if you are both close and good friends is to take her to one side , so it is you and her and no one else in hearing distance, tell her up front ( if your friends this shouldnt hurt to badly ) that her dog is smelling very badly, and that the smell has started to lingure around her home ( she may be so used to it that it isnt there for her or thier family, until someone points it out )
    Tact and diplomacy are not my strong points but thats i think how i would go about it

3. Barbwire

Gold Member

They are not a family of any great means, so I doubt they could afford to have the dog vetted. I did mention, kind of offhandedly, that her dog needed a bath once, and she said, "Why don't you give him a bath?" If he wasn't so rancid and didn't weigh over 80 lbs. I would have.

4. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Sorry i keep forgeting that in america only money talks , kindness isnt a comodity there , ( im meaning in the sense of state run vets, and such not as in the genral people )

Over here in france the vets give you a choice, if your a resident of the country, you can either pay if you can afford, if you cant then they send of a request to the gov. to have them pay. same thing with doctors fees to.

Doesnt seem to me like there is a tactile way around this problem.
    As it seems she is content with her home/dog/family all smelling like death warmed up.

5. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

hmmm - very delicate subject, indeed.

The problem lies with the family not being aware that they carry a scent with themselves wherever they go. They live with this scent, so they have become accustomed to it, and do not detect anything unusual.

Unless you are VERY close friends, there is no tactfully acceptable way to tell them they stink. Short of hiring a cleaning agency (at your expense), it will continue. And chances are, the living conditions will gradually return to the previous manner.

I've heard (and experienced) this dilemna, and you just have to accept them the way they are. If it is unbearable, refraining from visiting the home is your only viable option. If you wish to socialize, choose outdoor activities, where fresh air is abundant.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :shrug

6. Dreama

Gold Member

Perhaps you can get a couple of air fresheners at the store and give one to her, saying something like, " I LOVED this scent. You've got to try it!"

7. Barbwire

Gold Member

The thing is, they don't live like slobs. The house is clean, it the damned dog that is stinking up the joint.

I think I should just tie an air freshener to the dog next time I go there. That ought give them the hint. :lol

8. NaughtyKnickers

Gold Member

You could try a subtle hint,.. You know.. Send your son over to play in a chemical warfare mask.. :)

9. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Subtle? LMFAO :rofl

10. Kronnie

Kronnie Banned

Lmfao thats one way of doing it......add in one of those bright yellow hazadous uniforms as well ....

Paint bio hazard on the bog :p...

Do they have a good garden hose at all ?
    i mean is the dog ill , or just totaly dirty ?

11. AnonymousOne

Gold Member

Don't forget the fully sealed biohazard suit ... ya know .. those garish yellow ones.

Damnit you beat me to it...

12. HardRocker

Gold Member

If you, as a friend come out and tell them they have an odor problem, it will probably be embarrassing for all, but they may well appreciate it in the long run. It may solidify your friendship, if and when, they figure out you've done them a favor.

It sounds like a skin disease. When dogs get hotspots from some irritation, bacteria will set in, and that's what causes the horrible stench. It can be fleas, but some dogs are just nervous or have allergies that cause skin problems. A good antiseptic shampoo, flea treatment, and a regimen of antibiotics will usually clear it up(amoxicillin is very cheap). And a month or so of vitamin E and fish-oil tablets helps make their coat healthy.

13. SexyScorp

Gold Member

Why dont you suggest that they keep the dog outside?

Uugghhh....I dont have dogs but have smelt them inside of
    peoples' houses...its horrible....

Just say you are worried cos your son comes home smelling
    unpleasant and you think it may be a little unhygenic...?

:)

14. Dreama

Gold Member

SS, for people with inside dogs, it's very unnerving to consider the idea of making the dog stay outside. I'm sure they love their dog and don't want it to have to stay out there...But, you can have dogs and still smell nice.

15. SexyScorp

Gold Member

In Ireland nobody lets their animals inside....

Maybe cos its a farming community and all the animals live outside
    together....

I can always smell dogs in houses where people let them live inside..

...but am sure some are more aware than others...

Incense is good to burn...i find it takes away all smells...nag champa being
    the most potent IMO..

:)

16. MrsT1976

MrsT1976 New Member

Take round a hose and a bottle of doggie shampoo, don't bother hinting lol!

17. Barbwire

Gold Member

That's a grand idea, too bad it's snowing now. I think if I bathed the pooch now he'd freeze solid into a pupsicle.

18. Elvis

Elvis Member

There isn't much you can do unless there is an equivalent of the UK based RSPCA in your area, it's an organisation that checks out the welfare of reportedly abused animals.

Animal abuse covers neglect.

I would tell the owner as nicely as possible and risk losing a 'friend' for no other reason than hoping the animal's welfare maybe considered.

19. Dreama

Gold Member

I feel sorry for the pup. It sounds like it's a very sick doggie. :(

20. SexyScorp

Gold Member

I would be worried for her children too......

their safety maybe be affected.....eeekk!!!