A New Hobby Borne Out Of Financial Issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kermit, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Kermit

Gold Member

I don't wanna be the kind of posters that tells other members to keep their opinions to themselves, but please if you wish to make nasty comments, or offer criticism on the health risks or financial burden of such a habit in any form, please direct them to my Private Message Inbox, I promise I will respond to them if I receive any. Such statements veer off the intended topic and may result in a back and forth.

Being out of work since leaving Panera and more to my point that Psychotic Whore and resettling with two non-smokers has definitely changed things. Having to smoke outside in the cold, still looking for a job can't really afford smokes. It also made me realize how much I spent on my smoking habit and felt ashamed.

Being a man (and perhaps my amphibian nature) I like having my cake and eat it too and thus more willing to compromise than abstain. Going into a gas station i noticed how large the bags of tobacco are for the price. It caused me to recollect while working at Mapco someone told me you can get a ton of tobacco real cheap if you're willing to smoke it out of a pipe or roll it yourself.

I guess partially because i grew up with my Uncle who smoked pipes (hand carving some himself into interesting designs) and occasionally catching my father (and being upset about it) smoking out of a pipe after he had long quit i decided to invest 8 dollars into this experiment.

I got a cheap corncob pipe (not even fucking lacquered!) and a small bag of tobacco (but still huge compared to a pack of smokes for the same price). All this which was just borne out of financial hardship got me thinkin. Once i get my job st8ened out this would make an interesting hobby. For all i spent on cigarettes in my 20's... i had the idea that now that i am in the 30's with a new perspective i could use the same funds to have an interesting and physical collection of pipes and accessories turning an addiction into a hobby of sorts.

2. Trond

Gold Member

I caught my father the same way. I think he felt it was a good way to cut down on smoking, as the cigarettes are just too easy (before you know it, you're smoking another). I think he switched to just puffing after a while, as this gives you a little bit of the nicotine, but without the lung trouble. He eventually quit completely.

Still, if you can manage with mainly puffing (less inhaling) on the pipe, then I'm sure it's less harmful than cigarettes, and a nice hobby too. I think there are some like-minded people out on the web that you can chat with. Lots of brands of tobacco and pipe designs etc.

3. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

undefined

4. 1hotmamma420

Gold Member

I use pipe tobacco to roll my cigs. 2 1/2 cartons for around $20 including tubes. There are many many different types and flavors of tobacco as well as pipes to smoke it. Have fun!

5. Kermit

Gold Member

Need to find a better pipe sometime when i have the funds. The non-lacquered corn cob is turning black inside and leaks behind a black smudge if you stick your finger in there, can't be good for the flavor. Not sure if i wanna do it online i wanna see how i look with it, not that I wanna do this in public, would be a fairly private affair but wanna have it fit me y'know? Good thing is I can get menthol or cherry flavored tobacco :)