A little apartment advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dreama, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Dreama

Gold Member

So, my husband and I moved into our new apartment a week ago. It's the perfect place for us. However, there is one thing that is really annoying about this apartment. The residents below us are always banging around, and generally being VERY loud. And, it isn't just normal living sounds....It's like yelling, really loud talking. And, today, to my horror, a guy yelling at the top of his lungs while a woman was loudly screaming and crying at him. And it doesn't stop at night, either. It's worse at night, at one or two in the morning, especially. We hear singing, very loud music, fighting, etc. It sounds like they're drunk a lot, and having parties and alcohol isn't allowed on the premises. I don't agree with the no alcohol rule necessarily, since many residents are over 21, but if I were them, I certainly wouldn't advertise it..And if it becomes a problem for others, I feel it's over the line.

Should I tell the person in charge about what we've heard? Is this type of loudness normal for an apartment? I always take care to keep my noisy stuff at a reasonable level, especially at night (it's non-trad housing, and loud noises are supposed to stop at nine), and I feel that we're not having the favor returned. I value my quiet time, and it's driving me bonkers. I usually keep to myself, and try to cause as little problems as possible. I don't want to cause a war..And I would go address it myself with the neighbors, but frankly, I'm terrified of confronting them because of the violent words I've clearly heard while there was a fight taking place. I'd definitely be afraid for my safety. So, do you guys have any advice for me?

2. Halogen

Halogen New Member

Absolutely you should tell the person in charge. Of course you're going to hear a LITTLE bit of noise living in apartments, but if it's that disruptive, you should really tell the landlord.

Also, if they have really loud, screaming fights in the night, I wouldn't hesitate to call the police. I've done that before with neighbors - they would scream and i mean SCREAM! at each other while their baby cried and cried. It was awful.

3. Rose

Rose Resident Sexy Grandma
    Gold Member

Fighting....Yelling... Screaming.... Crying.... at 1 or 2 AM?

For gawd's sake, don't confront them yourself, but definitely tell the owner. If there is a written policy about being relatively quiet after 9 PM, you have a right (as a renter) to have this part of your contract honored. The owner does not have to reveal the source of their complaint.

Otherwise, you have a legal right to move to another place without losing any $$$$, as the leesee did not follow through on their end of the contract.

Doesn't it make you sick that some people live like that.... and think nothing wrong of it? :ugh

4. Dreama

Gold Member

Yeah, that's what I though, Rose and Halogen. I've never been in this situation before....I'm going to call the person in charge tomorrow and tell them about it....As for the contract and stuff, I don't know if it is exactly the same as a legal contract, since it's college married housing, and they have different rules. I am sure something will be done about it, though, if I say something. And the landlady is really nice, so I'm sure she wouldn't say I told... But, I really hope that they don't deduct who 'ratted' them out. I mean, I understand that a bit of noise is alright, but it's really scary when people are screaming and crying and yelling...And, I think, when will the gun go off? It's really sad that people are like that. Anyway, thanks guys :) All I needed was a little confirmation that I'm doing the right thing.