50 Shades of Grey

Discussion in 'General Sex Discussion' started by CurvedUp, Jul 12, 2012.

1. CurvedUp

CurvedUp Member

Has anyone read this book?

I have done some reading about what is in the book and wonder if it is only about hard core bondage? It seems as though many woman are getting turned on by this book.

2. imisscali

imisscali New Member

I have read the books, in fact I have reread them 5 times. To be quite honest, the writing in the books are terrible. It seems the writing is for 14 year olds and after so far into the books a lot of phrases are overly repeated. However, if you can look past that (like I did) there is a good love story there. A lot of people have said that this book is basically about abusing women, but I don't strictly see it that way. These are two people who decide to enter a relationship which turns out to be something completely different...something more. There is a lot of graphic sex in there, but it is also a love story as well.

Personally for me, when I first read it I was getting irritated with the characters and if you decide to read it, then you'll understand why. But as I got more into the story (books 2 & 3 and even rereading) my whole view changed about them. You can read a preview on amazon, but book 1 doesn't really talk about sex, I think the preview for book 2 (Fifty Shades Darker) does, but don't read the preview for the last book because you'll get the ending of the book. Hope this helps :)

3. topper

topper New Member

It premise turned my wife on, but not to do it to her. Instead she took control and has been getting more and more into being a dom wifeand fucking me with dildos, vibes and the strapon:D

4. Meow181

Meow181 Active Member

ahahahahahahahah... nothing wrong with the odd pegging.... just dont squeal ok.... it puts us girls off.... well not me always I take that as "oh you want it deeper and harder"? at that point my little red ball goes into yr mouth.... eheheh now relax and take it like a man ;) ehehheheheh

Hows yr pain threshold? :eyes

5. CurvedUp

CurvedUp Member

Thanks you two.

The reason I ask is because the person I have been with for six years, after making a comment about it, totally disgregared the book straight out from after she hard about all the BDSM sex. Without reading it for myself. I can't tell from what is being talked about, where is the love story? I am not even asking her to read, but it bothers me when someone disregards something without finding out for themselves.

6. Super

Super New Member

I see this thread tolk a turn for the worse.

7. OverSinged

Gold Member

Well Curved, I totally disregard it as it started life as a Twilight fapfic. That, and every review I've seen pretty much agrees it's bad. Then there's the fact books like that are one of the big reasons author's don't like fanfiction.

8. mikeh

mikeh New Member

I haven't read, don't need to, that's why God invented the internet.

9. cbrmale

Gold Member

About 90% of erotica written for women contains or is based upon BDSM. Not quite sure why 50 shades is such a big deal except that if may have hit a niche with it's BDSM-light formula. In terms of writing style it is dreadful, especially passive-voice and some horrible metaphors.

I'm not quite sure why women get so turned on by reading about BDSM, but maybe it's an extension of the rape fantasy (there can be no guilt if coercion is involved, and Western women are only one generation removed from the sexual pleasure / guilt conundrum that was forced upon them)

10. surreal_thoughts

Gold Member

Urgh...my fiancee read all three books, but loved the first one. I read about 1/4 of the book and deleted it off my iPad...I don't know how the writer made it on the New York Time's best seller list...a found that a lot of the same words/phrases where over used and I thought the story was pretty boring.

I heard that they are making a movie based off the first book? Hope that's not true :lol

11. CurvedUp

CurvedUp Member

I am glad I posted this. I have read some comments about this on the net and have found that the writing is really bad. The last five days has been an interesting road since my comment to her about this book. I am going to post something about it.

12. OverSinged

Gold Member

It's about like Twilight, tbh, you either love it or hate it. And some people I know like it ,and it baffles me.

13. igor

Gold Member

:nuts

14. Trond

Gold Member

Yeah, I had the same reaction earlier when I heard the same comment from someone else. I think the books started as Twilight fan fiction actually (correct me if I'm wrong), and that's also a bad sign in my view :lol

I thought there was plenty of naughty literature for women already, so why this was a hit is beyond me. I haven't read much naughty literature for or by women, but "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey or "Party Games" by this lady are both pretty nice. Finally, as Cbrmale pointed out: what's with women's sexy literature and BDSM??