4 pirouette

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HerHubby, Nov 14, 2006.

1. HerHubby

HerHubby The SF Poet Laureate
    Gold Member

Song by the Hollies which goes along with a dream I had about pirouette :brow

(clarke - hicks - nash)

See the girl with cymbals on her fingers
    Entering through the door
    Ruby glistening from her navel
    Shimmering around the floor

Bells on feet go ting-a ling-a linging
    Going through my head
    Sweat is falling just-a like-a tear drops
    Running from her head

Now shes dancing, going through the movements
    Swaying to and fro
    Body moving, bringing back a memory
    Thoughts of long ago

Blood is rushing, temperature is rising
    Sweating from my brow
    Like a snake, her body fascinates me
    I cant look away now

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
    Give me time to breathe
    Or Ill have to leave

Now shes moving all around the tables
    Luring all in sight
    But I know that she cannot see me
    Hidden by the light

Closer, closer, she is getting nearer
    Soon shell be in reach
    As I enter into a spotlight
    She stands lost for speech

Give me time to breathe
    Or Ill have to leave

Give me time to breathe
    Or Ill have to leave

Now I hold her, people are staring
    Dont know what to think
    And we struggle knocking over tables
    Spilling all the drinks

Cant they understand that I want her
    Happens every week
    Heavy hand upon my collar
    Throws me in the street

Give me time to breathe
    Or Ill have to leave

#1 HerHubby, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. Hot Wheels

Gold Member

Thats uncanny HH, sounds like it was written just for our sexy little moderator..
    Good find :D

3. pirouette

Gold Member

Dreaming about me? :) That's sweet! I don't recognise any of the dancers in your pics....my favorites have always been Ansuya, Rachel Brice and Walid Niiell (not sure how to write that in English, we don't have the letter Eyeen in our alphabet!).

4. HerHubby

Gold Member

I really DID have a dream about you dancing!! I would LOVE to see you dance!!

5. Bella

Gold Member

I agree!! I love belly dancers & I love belly kisses!!:brow
    Besides, Pirouette is beautiful!!
    ~Bella

6. pirouette

Gold Member

I love belly dancers too!!! :lol
    And I hope you would not be dissappointed, HerHubby. I'm not the mainstream media image of an American belly dancer (the media tends to paint a picture of a skinny stripper with fake boobs that sort of jiggles around in a chinsy costume).
    If you want to see the erotic, sensual art of Egyptian dancing, I'm your girl. I do put a little of my own style and a flair of dramatics in my routines, but I don't "jiggle about" or strip.
    :eyes

7. HerHubby

Gold Member

I am sure that I would NOT be disappointed and that watching you would be a wonderful experience!

A few years ago, there used to be an annual international festival here in our area where you could try various foods from other lands and cultures and see entertainment from other lands and cultures. I remember watching a female dancing troupe called "Women of Selkit". They did the traditional "belly dancing", however, they also did some other Middle Eastern dancing as well. One of the dances which they performed was one which they said that Arabic women only did in their homes, around other women, when they gathered for social events where only women were present. It was a dance, they said, which celebrated hearth and home and friendship. I cannot remember the name of the dance, however, all of the several women participating in it were covered in robes. I remember the music being very moving and beautiful and the dance being very moving and beautiful as well. It warmed and soothed me and made me feel drawn into their group. It was probably the most beautiful dance I have ever seen! Just wonderful!

8. pirouette

Gold Member

Egyptian belly dance (today we refer to it as Rakks Sharkii) was originally done for women. Within a harem, the women would dance for each oher. Dancing for the sultan didn't occur until much later.
    I love Egyptian cabaret style as well as the more folk/tribal styles of Bedoin women. I still prefer Turkish and Lebanese music, oddly. :eyes

9. pirouette

Gold Member

I have danced at International Festivals in the US and Canada. I no longer do because they usually have alcohol at festivals. It just isn't safe to mix alcohol, men and belly dancing. Thanks for thinking of me.....

Attached Files:

10. HerHubby

Gold Member

pirouette, if that is really your picture, it is AWESOME, SEXY and BEAUTIFUL (and so is the avatar picture you use)!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!:bow :brow

And, oh yeah, I too think that men drinking alcohol and belly dancing are probably dangerous to combine! Of course, when I have seen women belly dancing, as a male, I must admit to having felt a "certain stirring in my groin", so to speak, however, I also greatly appreciate the grace and art of the dance as well. I was intrigued by your earlier comment about the dances having been used among the women before they were ever seen by the sultans, etc. I remember that Arabic family dance, I mentioned to you, was so very warming and soothing in a special way that brought tears to my eyes and a gentle smile to my face! The dancers just radiated a special glow too! I've never forgotten it! I had also read that belly dancing, certain dances developed for the purpose, may have been used to help women in labor. I remember reading, once, of a woman having a difficult labor and that a belly dancer was brought in who did a special dance for women in labor and actually helped the woman get her labor under control and bring her baby on into the world. I hear tell that belly dancing is also excellent exercise for the women doing it too! How did you happen to get into belly dancing? Did you just decide to do it for arts sake or for exercise perhaps?

11. pirouette

Gold Member

Now I'm must be careful how much I reveal......
    My start in belly dancing? A belly dance company was leasing space from me (I owned a dance school, costume company, a theater and 2 dance companies of my own, at the time). They rented a dance studio weekly and rented the theater for performances a few times a year. My office was directly in front of the studio and I would watch her classes while doing bookings. Eventually, I took a few lessons. And then decided to find the best teachers I could because it was fun. And far less damaging than ballet.

As far as the belly dancing/birthing? I'm not familiar with the origin of that tale. I do know that belly dancing tones the female body differently than any other form of exercise. Not even ballet can tone your pc muscles! Belly dancing focuses on acute isolation of each muscle. I would think this would make chil bearing a lot easier.

And yes, of course that's me in my new silver costume. Isn't it pretty? My avatar pic was done this summer at a photo shoot in the Sunken Gardens.

12. pirouette

Gold Member

For you HH! ;)
    Actually, I think my arms look weird in action shots. :lol

Attached Files:

13. HerHubby

Gold Member

Oh WOW! That is a beautiful costume and a beautiful lady filling it!! ;> You really make my heart race! And I am in awe of your background! For some reason, I had it in my head that you were a math teacher of some sort (not sure how I got that idea)! That is awesome and outstanding! You are quite a lady! Wow!

14. pirouette

Gold Member

Probably because I have more than a BFA in dance (there are a few other degrees somewhere on my wall related to math and science). My husband often tells me that I am wasting my true gifts, and that I could be helping humanity, and that......*jiggle, jiggle*........and could I do that again.......what was he saying? He can't remember. :lol

15. HerHubby

Gold Member

Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :phat :brow That is a BEAUTIFUL picture!!! :bow :brow There is NOTHING wrong with your beatiful, graceful arms!! WOW!!! :D THANK YOU!!! :)

16. Bluesy

Gold Member

I've always thought of belly dancing as more sensual than sexual. Like a celebration of femininity. I'm still trying to decide which beginner's DVD is best for me... I'm not always great shakes at copying others' moves, so I may need a little academic assistance from a talented lady :)

Your pictures are gorgeous, btw :tup

17. pirouette

Gold Member

Thanks, Bluesy. ;)
    I highly suggest Rachel Brice's dvd (Yoga, Isolations and Belly Dance Drills). The technique is covered slowly. And very well. For the average, healthy woman, I also suggest getting the Neena and Veena dvds. They aren't the most qualified teachers, however, they do a great warm up and then teach little dances you can do yourself. The choreography is short and sweet and a lot of fun. Be sure to check with your doctor before adding a new workout. Belly dancing is very rigorous and really improves your cardio. :p

18. Bluesy

Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestions :) (I know you gave a few before, but I forgot to write them down :ugh ) I have come across the Neena and Veena DVDs in my search, and the beginner's one looked promising. I don't think I've seen Rachel Brice's. There was another one that I found somewhat interesting, a beginner's DVD by Amira (I believe that's her name). Have you heard of her?

19. pirouette

Gold Member

Amira? Hmmmmm doesn't ring a bell.

20. HerHubby

Gold Member

WOOOHOOO!! NICE new avatar pirouette!! ;>